“The truth is not by popular vote”
Just because the majority of people do something, it doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to copy them!
If you are changing technique or shoes (and they will change your technique) you will use a different range of muscles and your body needs sufficient time to adjust. While you undergo this body rebuilding you will need to greatly reduce the distance and intensity of your runs. Start with just one or two Kilometres, take at least a day off between runs and allow your muscles (especially your calf muscles) to adapt.
For more information read the book and especially the Foot Strengthening section (which also has videos).
How to choose a running shoe
Video based on American College of Sports Medicine advice
How footwear is detrimental to the feet
Where to buy good shoes
- The following list is by no means exhaustive and we welcome suggestions for including other manufacturers.
- Our suggestions are based purely on the construction of the shoe.
- For inclusion here the shoe must conform to the requirements we list in the book: Flat (no drop), Thin (Max 10mm), Flexible and preferably with a one-piece sole.
- For a comprehensive list of minimal shoes for all occasions we recommend anyasreviews.com and thebarefootshoereview.com
These are the companies that we know of with suitable shoes for running, walking, business etc.
- Xero shoes (check your country for suppliers)
- Vivobarefoot shoes (check your country for suppliers)
- Freet footwear (UK)
- Sole Runner Shoes (Germany)
- Skinners (sock shoe)
- ZAQQ (Germany)
- Merrell (Vapour Glove shoe)
- Tadeevo shoes
- Barefoot Shoes Australia